Kaedrin's Custom Content
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Improving Races

3 posters

Go down

Improving Races Empty Improving Races

Post  Archaos Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:16 am

I was thinking of ways to improve some races. The Half-Elf/Drow and Half-Orc races are probably the most underplayed and underpowered races in NwN2 and DnD.

One simple improvement that would make both more balanced and fun, is to simply give them the Quick to Master feat (or simply the extra feat that Humans get).
The reasoning is that they take half of the abilities of one race and half of the other, as they should, instead of being just 50% Elf and Orc respectively.
Also the Strongheart Halfling is proof that the extra feat is not a Human-only privilage and people still pick Humans, instead of them.
It would make them both more desirable and not useless anymore.

Another improvement I think would make sense, is to remove the Level Adjustment from the Genasi and make them a LA +0 race.
Currently, they are undepowered compared to the Tiefling and Aasimar. And many people on various forums agree on it.
Maybe remove their spell-like abilities also if you want, to balance them?

What do you think of it?

Archaos

Back to top Go down

Improving Races Empty Re: Improving Races

Post  VeritasWaits Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:38 pm

I agree in general. For me the choice of what race to play is largely cosmetic and for RP purposes, so I see no problem with altering their stats a little to improve your experience in a single player game. Multiplayer or table top is another issue.

If you're using a .2da editor you can easily make some of the changes you've mentioned by opening racialsubtypes.2da in the Core 2da folder in Kaedrin's pack and adjusting the desired columns (removing ECL, changing stat bonuses, etc). The changes won't appear in the text description, but they'll take effect in the game.

VeritasWaits

Back to top Go down

Post  Archaos Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:10 pm

I am well aware of the ways to change the Level Adjustment for the races. Wink I even enabled the Half-Celestial race once just for fun.

My point is not improve my experience only, but to improve the experience of everyone. Roleplayers and Powergamers, alike.
For example the Baldur's Gate - The Sword Coast Chronicles server added some extra bonuses for the Half-Elf/Drow/Orc.

Archaos

Back to top Go down

Post  VeritasWaits Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:42 pm

Ah, sorry I misunderstood. In that case I'd suggest that it might make more sense to give those races a boost that's more in line with their particular flavor rather than just replicating the Human bonus. For example, Half-Orcs receive Toughness and Half-Elves receive Able Learner and/or Arcane Defense Enchantment?

VeritasWaits

Back to top Go down

Post  Archaos Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:19 pm

Well Half-Orcs replicate half of the Orc abilities: Orcs get +4 STR -2 INT -2 WIS -2 CHA, Darkvision and Light Sensitivity.
Half-Orcs are literally 50% Orcs since they get half of those. But they should also get 50% of the Human ability, that's where the Quick to Master ability comes in. It makes sense flavor and RP wise.

Same is true for Half-Elves. Half of the Elf bonuses but they get at least +2 Bluff and Diplomacy. But still, they are considered underpowered and inferior to an Elf. And still no Human part in any of that.

Half-Elf/Drow/Orc are more or less, Lesser versions of their full-blooded counterparts.

Archaos

Back to top Go down

Post  Archaos Mon May 07, 2012 5:33 pm

*Bump* I asked this, mainly for Kaedrin to say his opinion about it. Shocked

Archaos

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaedrin Mon May 07, 2012 6:01 pm

I've no interest in changing existing races to something else. That's best left to individual users.

Kaedrin
Admin

https://nwn2customcontent.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down