Kaedrin's Custom Content
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Improved Familiars

2 posters

Go down

Improved Familiars Empty Improved Familiars

Post  0100010 Tue May 03, 2011 12:21 am

Saw this on the 1.41.4 progress. FYI, I already have fully completed and implemented Improved Familiars (and companions) in some of my own work. It is seamlessly integrated into the levelup screens and fully works with 3D model views as well. I haven't released it yet because its part of a broader set of levelup changes that I am still working on, but if you want to know how it was done or use any of it let me know.

Back to top Go down

Improved Familiars Empty Re: Improved Familiars

Post  Kaedrin Tue May 03, 2011 10:40 am

I'd love to add that actually. Do you know how cpu intensive it is offhand? I've a slight concern about the impact on PWs that use it but levelup events aren't THAT common.

Kaedrin
Admin

https://nwn2customcontent.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  0100010 Tue May 03, 2011 6:23 pm

The script controlled levelup system in general has a hit during on module load in order prep data objects that it uses during the levelup events so that they are better optimized.

I have script overriden the following levelup screens
1. Classes (to a limited extent, Its scripted to ID the class taken to make that info available to callback gui scripts during the latter phases of levelup. Additional possible action could be to hide certain classes if desired)
2. Skills (100% completely script overridden. This means I have complete control over the skill point costs and whether or not a given skill is shown to the player on the levelup screen. This means things like Skill Knowledge Feats (cross class to class skill) are possible (albeit they only would affect skill costs taken at subsequent levels since feat assignment occurs after skill point assignment)

3. Normal Feats (100% completely script overrideen) Yes. I can control the pre-requisite logic via scripts and can decide what feats are shown to the player to choose from. I use the 2DAs as a guide in determining this logic, but if I wanted to.. I could completely ignore them. Feats that are automatically granted at a given level for a given class cannot be prevent from being assigned by the engine. (however one could just alter the 2da to eliminate them to not get awarded in order to get 100% control)

4. Bonus Feats (100% completely script overridden) See Normal feats above (same things apply)

5. Familiar and Animal Companion Screens. (100% completely overridden) There are some quirky hacks I had to do to get it working though. (this would be rather excessive to attempt to explain, but its all done w/ scripts and 2DA changes)

The Animal Companion and Familiars component is the least intensive and has no to a barely noticeable pause when their screens are shown (although if you made hen_companion.2da file disgustingly large it would get worse, but that's is unlikely to occur) Note that Improved Familiar/Animal Companion feat can only be awarded at level 2+ so that their selection can be properly script controlled. This also means that one of the things I did was replace "Dinosaur Companion" with "Improved Companion" and disallowed it from being taken at 1st level.

BTW I also fixed your Telthor Companion feat so it actually shows up correctly as a choose-able companion under all build scenarios. (class w/ Animal companion combo w/ Spirit Shaman which takes Telthor feat. The Animal companion levelup screen would not appear to make it selectable due to the engine thinking it did not need to show it again due to prior attainment of the animal companion feat)

There is a slight pause (< 0.5 seconds on average) prior to the display of the 1st feat screen (bonus or normal depending on level) during the levelup process while it executes all the pre-req logic. Skills have a barely noticeable pause. (If your on a level in which you will see both a normal and bonus feat screen, the 2nd feat screen will not have a pause as the logic is ran for both prior to displaying the 1st feat screen)

Domains will be next (Domain however will be "fixed" by turning them into 100% controllable Bonus feats granted to a cleric at level 2. It also might be possible (given the creation of sufficient spells) to actually let all domains award bonus spells at each level like in normal PnP. Award them at level 2 also lessens the level-dip cheese)

Spells will be after that. (This will probably be the most complex, more-so than feats were. Likewise, if what spells are displayed to the user for selection at level up and also controlled in the spell guis, this open up greater ways to attempt new spellcasting classes)

I've optimize the scripts as best I can, but an additional set of eyes and suggestions would be welcome. Finding me in IRC would be most ideal for me to tell you more.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down