Kaedrin's Custom Content
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feat implementation by the game engine

2 posters

Go down

Feat implementation by the game engine Empty Feat implementation by the game engine

Post  ChemDog Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:13 pm

Kaedrin,

I have a few questions regarding how NWN2 implements simple feats like barbarian damage reduction or weapon proficiencies. How does the game know to assign the feats to your character while playing?

For example, according to the cls_feat_barb.2da file, barbarians get damage reduction at level 7 for free. The cls_feat file refers to feat.2da and there are a lot of feat parameters (GUI icon, requirements, successor, etc.) but none that look like they assign DR 1/- to your barbarian in-game.

1) Does the FEAT_DAMAGE_REDUCTION entry under the column "Constant" show up somewhere in a script file?
2) Which script file is it?
3) Could I change the script to be DR 2/- and rename applicable fields for use as a new feat?

Sorry if this has been answered, a lot of google searching leads to dead links from the Bioware NWN2 Forums. For new guys like me, losing that forum was like the Library of Alexandria burning down Sad

Thanks for your contributions to the community!

ChemDog

Back to top Go down

Feat implementation by the game engine Empty Re: Feat implementation by the game engine

Post  Raygereio Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:34 pm

ChemDog wrote:I have a few questions regarding how NWN2 implements simple feats like barbarian damage reduction or weapon proficiencies. How does the game know to assign the feats to your character while playing?
If a feat does something and it doesn't have a script attached to it, it's most likely hardcoded. Meaning it's handled inside the executable, instead of through an external script. It also means modders can't touch it. There are exceptions to this; a feat could just do nothing but be present on your character sheet and another script that fires could check for its presence.
That said as far as I know the barbarian's damage reduction is hardcoded.

Maybe you could remove the damage reduction feats from cls_feat_barb.2da and make it give your own custom persistant feats that give your PC whatever damage reduction you want.

Sorry if this has been answered, a lot of google searching leads to dead links from the Bioware NWN2 Forums. For new guys like me, losing that forum was like the Library of Alexandria burning down
Occasionally you can get lucky and find what you're looking for google cache. A lot of the old forums is still floating around in there.

Raygereio

Back to top Go down

Feat implementation by the game engine Empty Re: Feat implementation by the game engine

Post  ChemDog Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:58 pm

If a feat does something and it doesn't have a script attached to it, it's most likely hardcoded. Meaning it's handled inside the executable, instead of through an external script. It also means modders can't touch it.

That's what I was afraid of hearing, but it is good to have confirmation. I'll have to investigate a work-around via a custom persistent spell-like feat. Thanks for the reply!

ChemDog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down