Arcane Archers Have Room For Improvement

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Arcane Archers Have Room For Improvement

Post  The Man In The Moon on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:24 pm

A small issue I would like to see improved by future patching would be to give the Arcane Archer prestige class a modicum of spellcasting advancement - I think +1/odd level would be good enough. The other tweak I would suggest is to enable the Arrow of Death ability to further increase its DC by the archer's Intelligence or Charisma modifier (whichever statistic fuels the caster levels the archer would now be advancing in).

The Man In The Moon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Arcane Archers Have Room For Improvement

Post  Raygereio on Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:09 am

Setting up spellcasting progression is one of the easiest tweak one can do. You don't even have to open up the toolset. All you need is a texteditor that doesn't scew up .2da files such as a notepad++ or a dedicated .2da editor (you can find some on the NWN2 vault).
- Create a new feat in FEATS.2da for the spellcasting class the progression is for.
- In the CLS_BFEAT_*.2da file for the class and change the number of bonus feats at level 1 to 1. Then change the CLS_FEAT_*.2da for the class to add the spellcasting progression feat.
- In CLS_FEATMAP_*.2da tie your custom spellcasting feat to the appropriate class with the featid.
- Lastly in CLS_BSPLVL_*.2da set up the spellcasting progression.

For more details, just look at an existing PRC with spellcasting progression for how it works. Some files I've mentioned don't exist. You'll need to create them. * for Arcane Archer is archer.

As for Arrow Death.
That is handled in x1_s2_deatharrow. I suppose you could change the fixed DC20 to the function GetSpellSaveDC(), or something.

Raygereio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Henry Jekyll on Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:01 am

Actually the feat granting 1/2 sorcerer progression (Warband arcanist) is marked as implemented for the next release.

I'd rather make progression at every even level instead of odd, since it will give more reason to go AA10 over AA9.

Most AA active abilities are weak to the point of irrelevance (Imbue arrow may be somewhat useful, but only early on). Arrow of death is a very disappointing capstone. DC fix is not enough. With increased DC it should have either cooldown instead of 1/day or have some really bad secondary effects (like 2d4 constitution damage even on successful save).

I would also give a cooldown to seeker and hail of arrows. They deal pitiful damage, so I think that seeker arrow could work like pinpoint shot and lower target's AC + temporarily remove concealment. Hail of arrows should just deal way more damage (Imbue arrow is currently better).

That being said, Warband arcanist seems like an interesting feat as is. Possible builds I see are gishy Sorc 8/SD 3/AA 9/SwB 10 (caster level 23 with practised, level 9 spells) or more caster oriented Sorc 8/EK 10/AA 9/DSlay 3 (caster level 28 and has at least 1 spell penetration feat). Hell, maybe even Sorc 10/SD 1/ASoC 10/AA 9 (caster level 29) as a power caster with archery support (probably will need to go through quickened truestrike -> hips -> shoot cycles to get reliable hits).

Henry Jekyll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaedrin on Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:27 pm

It has to be on the odd levels due to an engine bug/exploit.

Kaedrin
Admin

View user profile http://nwn2customcontent.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  The Man In The Moon on Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:50 am

Okay, so I've downloaded Notepad++ - but what do I do now to implement the fix to the game? I've managed to pull off a few tricks in this vein before with guidance, but I know precious little about programming.

The Man In The Moon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top