Pipe dream for the day

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pipe dream for the day

Post  Kaedrin on Wed May 09, 2012 10:48 am

I'd love to see a few PWs step forward and say "I want a Pathfinder-esque ruleset for NWN2." Yes, it would require a player wipe, a new crafting system, and new loot drop code (latter two could be replaced by gold only drops and a NPC that does crafting requests for gold which follows pnp's ability to "buy your properties" on items).

Level 20 hard cap. NO going past 20 (and it's easy to balance base classes against 20)
Druids fairly balanced against everyone else (their REAL physical stats transfer with a bonus for wildshape, no longer takes the animal's stats)
Skills being class skills for everyone.
Magic items that conform to real pnp rules (no 3-5 property items, bonuses only in certain slots, etc).
Stacking rules observed (saves, skills, etc)
No ECL/ECL races (drow are ECL 0 with greatly weakened abilities, etc)
No exp penalty for multiclassing.
Bards are any alignment and have d8 HD (hello Bard/Paladin!)
Rangers are d10 HD, have a CL equal to level - 3, Imp Evasion at 16, more combat-style feats
Clerics/Paladins Turn Undead becomes Channel Energy (damage undead, heal living allies)
Clerics have less spells per day on average (and divPower doesn't boost BAB!)
Rogues get bonus feats on even levels not just 10/13/16/19 (and can even get feats that grant level 1 wizard spells with rogue level as CL).
I'd go so far as to not include any prcs at the start (if ever) but add more base classes.
Items/spells both cap at "+5 items" for equality among gear/spell based classes.
No practiced caster.
Fighters get weapon and armor training (mithril full plate and a 24 dex gets the full dex bonus)
Items provide +6 to attributes (and multiple ones at that, very easy to get +6 to all stats making a 24 stat by 20th easy to obtain)
Dispels/Disjunctions are vastly different and more fair (Disjunction is a 40' burst that simply removes all spell effects LOL, dispels get rid of 0-5 spells).
Saves matter (+12 base, +5 item, +5ish from stats, and maybe a few points from spells +4 morale being the most you can get). Feats for +saves will matter (Iron will, etc).
Almost no +save/+skill spells (and they rarely stack with items).
Poisons/Diseases are vastly different.

Some changes would still need to be done to fit a CRPG: bards/barbarians in pathfinder are good for maybe 3-4 minutes per day LOL, Tumble would probably still need to be cross class (to ALL), No HiPS (rogues don't need it near as much in pathfinder), usual pathfinder "favored class" bonus can't really be done (though every base class could be given +1 HP or skill point), base classes grant a bonus feat at 7/13/19 since PF has 10 feats by 20 instead of the 7 that 3.5 has, class skills won't get the +3 since the engine lets you go level +3 max ranks, Paladin would allow LG or LE for the anti-paladin, no domain spells for clerics (too many abuses/exploits), some of the archtypes are baked into the base class as upgrades (especially bard).

Kaedrin
Admin

View user profile http://nwn2customcontent.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Pipe dream for the day

Post  deserk on Wed May 09, 2012 12:57 pm

I'd love to see something like this. Pathfinder is essentially an expansion of 3.5, a sort of "3.75". It's basically bigger and better.

Though I'm sure a project like this would require quite a bit work, if it is all in fact possible within NWN2's engine. If it were made though, I can't see how no one would want to try it. I'd love to play in the Pathfinder rule set. Would be cool if some of the many Pathfinder archetypes were included too.

deserk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MasterChanger on Thu May 10, 2012 2:55 am

It's a very exciting prospect. Almost every change you mentioned is something I'd love to see. Re-balancing everything, with base classes having interesting points to them is good. Multi-classing should be a difficult decision to make (especially if it becomes possible to build in capstone feats at level 20).

The feats that Pathfinder makes active feats would contribute a lot as well, like Cleave. I think you've started going in this direction with your work already with the Combat Focus feats and the Monk stuff.

The one Pathfinder change that I'd really love to see, but I think would be very difficult, is the way they do spell schools. The implementation of spell schools in NWN1/2 is just sad, forcing players to take a school based on the opposing school they're most willing to give up.

Anyway, I hope a PW takes you up on this. I would have strongly considered back when I was part of a PW-building team.

MasterChanger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaedrin on Thu May 10, 2012 6:58 am

As much as I would like to see it happen, it's pretty much an impossibility (hence the pipe dream). Only one server has my 1.42 release up with two more looking into adding it at some point in the future. That's how anticipated the hexblade has been. LOL

Razz

Kaedrin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlouloute on Thu May 10, 2012 9:11 am

This seems to be a great idea for a nwn2 PW. The game seems to be more simple and balanced. I'm not a pro so I won't try to speak more about it but everything done for nwn 2 remains useful. The nwn2 community is not dead (as we say in France ^^).

For the 1.42, it's not really easy to get it but we would like to. I can't send you PM but I tried to contact you by the vault... I don't even know if it works.

Ps : As usually... sorry for my bad English ^^.

Charlouloute

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaedrin on Thu May 10, 2012 9:29 am

You can always email me at kaedrin.nwn2@gmail.com

That's the prefered way for PWs to contact me for getting the source. I've got a list I send the source to with each release.

Kaedrin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  deserk on Thu May 10, 2012 10:57 am

Kaedrin wrote:As much as I would like to see it happen, it's pretty much an impossibility (hence the pipe dream). Only one server has my 1.42 release up with two more looking into adding it at some point in the future. That's how anticipated the hexblade has been. LOL

Razz
It's disappointing they haven't gotten in your latest updates sooner. But they're getting there (hopefully). I'm dying to use it on Dalelands at least.

In the meanwhile I've been having a very enjoyable experience using KPRC and playing the excellent Icewind Dale remake module. Soon the Baldur's Gate remake module for NWN2 is coming too. Surprisingly, I think single-player NWN2 might experience a surge of interest. Very Happy

deserk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlouloute on Thu May 10, 2012 11:04 am

Kaedrin wrote:You can always email me at kaedrin.nwn2 @gmail.com

That's the prefered way for PWs to contact me for getting the source. I've got a list I send the source to with each release.

Thanks, mail sent Smile. Sorry for "flooding" this post ^^.

Charlouloute

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top