Evasion/Vulnerability/DR Math

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Evasion/Vulnerability/DR Math

Post  marnold on Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:34 am

I've got a Ranger/Forest Master who will soon be reaching the magical 7th level and get Oakheart (IMO, the whole reason to take FM) which unfortunately adds 100% fire vulnerability. I just started Act III so at some point I'm going to be facing a certain red dragon. Thus, I wanted to know how the fire vulnerability math is calculated. First up is evasion, which I get as a Ranger. I assume that if I make my save against the dragon's breath that I would take no damage. Is that correct?

Second, I have a ring of Improved Evasion, so even if I fail the saving throw I take 50% damage. I would assume that the 50% from Improved Evasion plus the 100% vulnerability would essentially give the "normal" damage that any character who failed their saving throw would get.

Third, I have a Helm of Brilliance that gives me 20/- fire DR. Which is calculated first, DR or vulnerability/evasion?

Maybe for a simple experiment, assume I am attacked by red dragon breath and it would do 100 points of damage to a normal character with no special resistances or vulnerabilities on a failed saving throw (quite a lot, really, but I'm looking for a nice round number). I would assume that without taking evasion or DR into consideration that I would take 100 points of damage on a successful saving throw (half off for the saving throw, but then doubling it for the vulnerability) and 200 points of damage if I would fail the saving throw. How much damage would I take if I fail the saving throw, but have Improved Evasion and the Helm of Brilliance?

The simplest solution, obviously, is to have Elanee cast Energy Immunity and hope it doesn't get dispelled.

marnold

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Evasion/Vulnerability/DR Math

Post  Kaedrin on Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:11 pm

Immunity/Vulnerability then Resistance. I believe Evasion is done in the middle of that (before resistance).

Kaedrin
Admin

View user profile http://nwn2customcontent.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top