Archivist or Beguiler?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Archivist or Beguiler?

Post  legowarrior on Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:10 am

Any chance at either of these classes being added? I am a huge fan of casters, and they seem to be a big no no for you, so I was just curious.

legowarrior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Archivist or Beguiler?

Post  xvaragornvx on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:27 am

Its just a huge development pain to do casters in NWN2, the upcoming hexblade though is a caster(type). Though I don't know all the class features of the beguiler, from the wikipedia entry on it (I only knew the name before), it may be possible to implement, but a heavy undertaking. Small suites of spells can be implemented similar to the hexblade that Kaed is currently working on, but also depends on the spells they have in their list (google failed me on that part).

Archivist would really depend on how the divine magic is setup. I believe it is impossible to add divine/arcane spells to a base class spellbook such as archivist without requiring druid/cleric/FS/SS levels, its just how the engine works to my knowledge. So I doubt you'll ever see this one in NWN2 content.

xvaragornvx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Archaos on Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:03 am

The Archivist is almost impossible to do currently. He is a divine wizard, that can wear some armor and can learn any divine spell I think (paladin, cleric, druid etc). Without custom gui it's impossible to give custom spell lists to classes.

The Beguiler is much more doable since most spells already exist and he has a short spell list, which means they can be done with a feat-based spellbook, plus he is a spontaneous caster. Personally I would love to have a new and different skillmonkey/trapfinder/lockpicker that's not a Rogue or Ninja.

Archaos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaedrin on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:35 am

Beguiler is a worthless class and it's not worth the time to do.

Kaedrin
Admin

View user profile http://nwn2customcontent.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  legowarrior on Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:34 pm

We must agree to disagree on that then. I find the class an enjoyable alternative to rogues. I enjoy D & D, but I find that requiring a rogue (or ninja or scout, so similar as to be boring) in order to disarm traps rather lame. That is why I was looking forward to artificer, and that is something I really like about the Beguiler. The spells aren't is simple to use as other classes, and maybe that is why you have such as low opinion on them.
Full Spell casting, access to illusions and a few interesting weapons (not that you would use them with the low BAB) and a goodly amount of skill points make them perfect party leaders. I can leave my rogue at home, and never think twice about them.

legowarrior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Archaos on Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:08 pm

Those were exactly my thoughts. The Beguiler trades the fighting part of the Rogue (Sneak Attack, BAB, Crippling Strike etc) for mostly Illusion/Enchantment spellcasting up to 9th level. Looks very balanced, fun and flavorful class to me.

We have many many warrior classes, many divine classes, enough arcane classes, yet only two trapfinding/picklocking/skillmonkey classes (Ninja is almost identical to a Rogue and Scout fills only the trapfinding part).

We need more thief type classes to balance the others. If not the Beguiler, then the Artificer would be even more fun.

Archaos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pyro on Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:38 am

Indeed! I hadn't realized how limited Rogue-likes are in NWN2 until I sat down and tried to build something a little more unique than Rogue/Assassin.

We definitely need more skill monkey types with trapfinding. Playing without a Rogue-like is no fun - the last 3.5 game I played in we ended up resorting to a low level figurine of wondrous power; a dog we dubbed Trapspringer.

pyro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  legowarrior on Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:55 am

It seems that only fighter characters are valued. That is sad.

legowarrior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  xvaragornvx on Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:26 am

legowarrior wrote:It seems that only fighter characters are valued. That is sad.

Got to remember there is a man behind all the work. If beguilers aren't something K wants to do, doesn't have to. I encourage you to create your own though :-)

My personal version of K's PRC pack has a Conjuror, Fey Naturalist, and Beastmaster classes. Of course they aren't usable on PW's,but hey they are really fun for my single player games. (plus they kinda feel more awesome because I did the work for the classes myself with huge props to K for the infrastructure).

xvaragornvx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  VeritasWaits on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:16 pm

xvaragornvx wrote:
legowarrior wrote:It seems that only fighter characters are valued. That is sad.
My personal version of K's PRC pack has a Conjuror, Fey Naturalist, and Beastmaster classes.

Any chance of sharing that sometime? Laughing

And actually I'd say the PrC pack has been more focused on rounding out caster classes (which was sorely needed), so it makes sense that warriors are getting some attention now. I'm excited to see the Knight, Marshall, and the Combat Focus feats, they're all way more interesting than "Fighter 30" IMO Smile

VeritasWaits

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  xvaragornvx on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:21 pm

VeritasWaits wrote:Any chance of sharing that sometime? Laughing

Well 2/3 still need some scripting bugs ironed out, but I'll look at making a vault account and making the classes available to ppl who are interested.

I am working hard at finishing them after I get off work, cause as of 11/11/11 my free time won't be in NWN2 haha.

xvaragornvx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  VeritasWaits on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:49 pm

xvaragornvx wrote:
VeritasWaits wrote:Any chance of sharing that sometime? Laughing

as of 11/11/11 my free time won't be in NWN2 haha.

Haha, tell me about it. All the recent Skyrim trailers got me so itchy for some Elder Scrolls that I actually went back and fired up Daggerfall. I figured the technology gap would help me appreciate TESV even more, rather than get annoyed at all the little irritations until mods start coming out (I'm praying to all the gods of PC gaming that the interface and inventory will actually be small font and usable from day one this time).

Actually just yesterday I was trying to figure out how to replicate one of my favorite D&D builds (Bard/Hexblade/Swiftblade) as a Skyrim character.

VeritasWaits

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top